I'm having problems doing Dynamic DNS Updates using DynSite.
While our dynamic DNS services are extremely easy-to-use and reliable, many of our users have problems because they've setup their DNS update software incorrectly.
If you're having a problem with DynSite or you're receiving a "failure (not owner)" error message from our server, please continue reading and follow the directions specified.
This KnowledgeBase entry will provide you with information on setting up DynSite.
- If you have not already downloaded DynSite, go to http://www.noeld.com/dldynsite.htm to download DynSite.
- After installing DynSite, the software will launch the Account Assistant. If you already have DynSite installed, right-click the system tray icon and click "Account Assistant."
- Click "Next" on the initial "Welcome to the Account Assistant" screen.
- On the "What type of server to configure?" screen, choose "Dynamic DNS Services" and click "Next."
- On the "Which service to configure?" scroll down to Sitelutions.com (Free Dynamic DNS).
- On the "What do you want to do?" screen, choose "Configure a new account." Enter a screen name for this account. Note that a screen name is for display purposes only, and does not necessarily need to include your host/domain name. Click "Next."
- On the "Configuration of a dynamic DNS account" screen, enter your Sitelutions-registered e-mail address (the address you use to login to Sitelutions) in the "login" field. Check the box labeled "This service requires a password," and continue to enter your Sitelutions password in the password field. Make sure the box labeled "I want to configure a host for this account" is checked. Click "Next."
- On the "Configuration of a host or domain name" screen you'll be prompted to once again enter a screen name. Again, this is just a screen name for display purposes only. It need not be your actual host/domain name. For the host name, enter the host name that you wish to update. For the domain name, choose the Sitelutions free domain name that you're using or "<your own domain>" option if you're using your own domain. If you're using your own domain, proceed to enter your domain name. NOTE THAT THE HOST AND DOMAIN NAME THAT YOU ENTER HAVE NO BEARING ON THE ACTUAL RECORD THAT'S UPDATED! This is because you need to proceed to enter a "Record ID." Do not click the "Next" button yet.
- Click the "Advanced..." button and click the "Parameters" tab. You will see a field entitled "RecordID." Here you must enter the numerical ID of your record. ENTERING YOUR RECORD ID IS CRITICAL, without doing so your record won't be updated. You can find your record ID by logging into Sitelutions, going to the URL & DNS Control Center, locating the host name that you wish to update, and clicking "[Advanced Config & DDNS]" next to that hostname. Then find the "A" record that you wish to update and click "[Dynamic DNS]". You will be provided with a record ID. Enter this ID into the "RecordID" field.
- Click "Okay" to close the Advanced Dialog window and click "Next" on the remaining open window. Click "Next" and then "Finish" to confirm.
- That's it! You're done. Contact [email protected] if you have any further Questions.